Friday, March 5, 2010

Tomorrow is finally here

(this is a 24x24inch painting done on silk... after the dyes have set the fabric is washed and the color is permanently embedded into the fabric -- its like magic)

For years I have been telling myself "I'll paint tomorrow"...well tomorrow has finally come. The painting above is one of the pieces I've been working on this last week. But here's the thing, I don't know if it's done. As an artist our job is to push past the initial "ah-ha" but know when to stop before going over the edge.
I'm in love with the composition, the simplicity balanced with complexity, and the mix of calm and chaos. If I were to continue all these traits will be lost or altered... but I know more could be done... I could add a pattern to the background adding dimension, or I could paint on top of the entire thing with textures making it moody, or I could go whimsical and add a background of flowers, clouds, or faint airplanes causing twisted cuteness. So I think I might make a series of these... that way I'll know the path I should have taken... kind of like a choose your own adventure novel... you read the story over and over again, to see what would have happened "if." (don't worry I'll share those trials with you.) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment