Wednesday, March 17, 2010

When to give up?


The other day I sat down to paint without any sketches or plan. As the music in the background switched from one song to another so did my vision. By the time I was done I was quite annoyed with my attempt to "wing it"... but later when I looked at it again I thought "well maybe".... so all week now I've been fighting with this piece... every time I think "just trash it" I think "what if I do..."

I'm  f..i..n..a..l..1..y starting to like the painting... though I have mixed emotions on the butterflies.  My general overall goal lately is to create artwork that is more welcoming for the viewer... but I have a strong desire to add military men to the painting.  Some of you may know my senior year in art school all my paintings were military related... I'm comfortable with the topic, I like it, it's gritty...butterflies, not so gritty.

2 comments:

  1. My husband I think this piece has a "retro 70's " feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surely you can find something that eats butterflies. Butterfly parts can be grittier. Maybe toy soilder blowing up butterflies. Again, butterfly parts.

    ReplyDelete