Thursday, March 11, 2010

Negative Space


A few years ago my mom took me to a small craft fair where I stumbled across a 93 year old woman creating bobbin lace. Instantly I fell in love as I watched her repetitiously weave each string. To this day I only know how to do a little bit of bobbin lace weaving. It takes about 2 hours to create one square inch... and I just don't have that kind of time. But the process has taught me to be much more sensitive to the negative spaces in a composition.

(In art we commonly refer to the main subject as the positive space, and the background surrounding the object as negative space.) In this piece I was playing with the positive and negative space, watching the visual dance of the two interacting.

1 comment:

  1. When I tried print making I really struggled with this concept. Great work. I enjoy your commentary.

    ReplyDelete