Monday, November 4, 2013

Trying Something New....

When I went to design my wedding invitations I had a really hard time finding a stock template that made me happy. We're quirky people and I wanted something that reflected that so I had to start from scratch designing something that would make both of us happy....in the end I was really pleased with the collection of work that we made so I thought maybe I would have fun designing for others too.

I've posted an ad on Craigslist, but I'm not so sure that will work because you have to click on "services" when searching in order to see the ad.  I don't know about you, but I've used craigslist a thousand times, I didn't know you have to click on "services" so I doubt others do either....but we shall see, it will be a fun experiment.  

I figured I would charge $300 for a wedding invitation and $50 for an envelope.   When I made my invitations it took FOREVER...I mean I will admit, we're both artistically picky, which is what made it such an impossible task.  (To be honest I'm not even that fond of our wedding invitations....but they were Blair's 'dream come true' so I guess that's all that matters...and on top of that every other piece in the packaged I am in love with.

Here's what the ad says, and some of the samples that were posted with it (for some reason Blogger wont let me post all of the samples): 









Are you looking for wedding invitations that are a little more personalized than those stock templates online? 

I'm a graphic artist who had a blast setting up my own invites, now I'm toying with the idea of starting a side business designing stuff for others.

We would have an initial meeting, talk about what exactly your looking for, then I would design three starting point ideas....from there you would pick one, and you would have up to three more rounds of changes from there. After we come up with the final layout, I can give you a cd with your art on it and I can either help you find a printer, or you can print your artwork yourself, the art is yours. I will sign waivers so you have full access to it.

I would need to be paid upfront after the initial meeting
I would charge $300 for a wedding invitation (however I would give a discount for easier jobs)
$50 for an envelope design

Generally speaking, if your looking for something quirky/unique, it does take some time to make it happen...it's impossible to say how long something will take when you start the project, because you never know if your going to need to hand draw your own art, or if there is art already out there that you can tweak and twist to be what your looking for....but I have a wide range of skills, so if you want something hand drawn, or you want photos photoshopped into something crazy, I can make it happen.

I would be happy to design other stuff too: thank you cards, rsvp cards, save the dates, baby shower, posters, graduation, etc.

Shoot me an email if your interested:  wendy.nisley@gmail.com
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/crs/4167853469.html

No comments:

Post a Comment