Saturday, November 9, 2013

Random Inspirations

When I went to art school it was creativity 110% of the time....but I got burnt out, and now a days it goes in fits and fizzles.

A week or so ago I saw something magical, or at least at the time I thought it was magical...upon further investigation it turned out to be not so cool...but that's even better.  It was a strike to the imagination causing me to yearn to find more magical things.

However, it turns out it's not easy to hunt for magical things.  I looked at the most expensive gnomes on ebay...lame...I looked up the words "magical"  "awesome"  "crazy" on pintrest and craigslist....no luck (unless you think unicorns are awe inspiring).

I did indeed finally find some things...though it took several days, and even my husband began to join in on the hunt and in the end it sparked the desire to create art again, to be in that moment of creating something that feels magical to me....to dance with delight when I make the right move, and to shudder with disappointment when I fail....

It all started with a door knocker (I know random)
Jurnal de design interior  Cele mai ingenioase mânere pentru ușăElephant door knocker  This knocker belongs to a cottage on Holy Island. By coincidence we had listened to Michael Morpurgo's audiobook "Running Wild" on the long drive to Northumberland. It's a great story about a boy and an elephant lost in the jungle.

He's not as cool as he looks....you can buy one on ebay...but the fact that he's not as cool as I thought only makes me want to make what I thought I saw in this picture.

So then I started searching....
I learned from pintrest that you can draw on paper with milk and hit it with a hot iron to create an awesome woodburned look:
Pretty cool.

Then I found a photographer that created this delightful book about random people in New York, paired with lovely quotes from the people.
I have got to find this book, the photos are luscious!humans of new york: humans of new york

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2013/nov/03/brandon-stanton-humans-of-new-york-pictures


And another photographer taking photos of people who like to dress up as movie characters, in their costumes in their own homes:
Just the two of us, Klaus Pichler, 2013
http://petapixel.com/2013/11/01/portraits-costume-owners-home/

But Blair found the winner that made me feel most satisfied....It's a book written by an architect in the 70's. He made an encyclopedia in a made up language about a made up world. He wanted you, the viewer, to feel like you were a kid again, thumbing through an encyclopedia staring at the images trying to figure out what's going on...and I LOVE IT....the sixth edition has just been printed, and for the first time ever it's actually affordable, but it seems everyone is out of stock until after Christmas...I must own this book!

Fantastic series of nonsensical informative illustrationspage from codex seraphinianus

http://the-dimka.livejournal.com/6645.html

However, now I've become a "magical hunter"...as a result I'm also debating buying a 3ft long museum quality t-rex (not assembled! How fun is that?!) for $50 on craigslist (he would make a great fireplace decoration), a crazy couch (and chair, but I would keep the couch and ottoman and resell the chair), and the coolest craziest Christmas gift for a friend from a restaurant auction, but I can't say what it is in case "the receiver" or anyone related to the "receiver" reads this post...but it's 6ft tall, and who knows how heavy, would be freaking amazingly well received, but would end up right back on craigslist by January 1st....but totally worth it.



And in this playful yearning I'm drawing again!  I can't find my freaking markers, so I'm just doing pencil drawing for now, but my mind is churning and I believe it is ready to go places!!!! There will be more to follow, I'm sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment