Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Peacocks!




If I’m going to start posting on my food blog, I guess I should bring back my art blog too, haha.  I am indeed working in my sketchbook these days. I seem to go through phases of diligence and passiveness, but right now I have a designated day/time, and that seems to be working well for me.  I’ve noticed that I’m quite the sponge; whatever I saw/did that week almost always ends up in my drawings (usually unintended).

I did this drawing right after seeking a bazaar display at the Kemper Art Museum.  The Kemper has these beautiful pristinely clean wooden floors. The show I saw had a large wooden tree (that looked like it had been through a forest fire) right in the middle of the room on that beautiful flawless floor, with dirt scattered all over the place, and real stuffed peacocks, charcoal black except for their gorgeous tails.

I’ve always been drawn to peacocks (who isn’t)…but their tails are just magical, with bold colors almost holographic painted onto them in a wispy non-solid way…I guess the piece really moved me, cause when I went home I created an abstract peacock without even intending to…just one stroke after another I kept thinking “that’s pretty.” 

P.S.  Check out what the drawing looks like with it's colors reversed...I kind of like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment