Thursday, July 15, 2010

Simple update

This week I’ve been working on a dance veil covered in stars. I thought it would look cool to have a dancer twirling in a blanket of stars. Simple enough… but as I started mapping out sketches I quickly realized that because this is such a simple idea it can go wrong very easily… I’ve been playing with simple grids, different arrays of randomness, having the stars go from big in the center to small on the edges, and visa versa…I tried so many different arrangements that I actually started dreaming about them! But I think I’ve got it figured out, now for the daunting task of putting those plans into action.

4 comments:

  1. Went into a gallery last week dedicated to textile art and thought of you. Stars have always been one of my favorite shapes. Of the three, the red is my favorite though I think the design of the top one (with the heavy stars on the ends) might be more appealing in the midst of spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there before! The textile museum in DC...they had some amazing African weavings when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These patterns are fun to look at. Have you considered tilting each star by varying degrees, either clockwise or counter clockwise?

    ReplyDelete