Monday, June 7, 2010

Drawing Club Epiphany


Went to Dr. Sketchy's again tonight.... It was hotter than hell. Still enjoyable, but man, I felt like I was in Cuba! I had an epiphany tonight... I'm still rusty with my drawing skills, and for the first half of the night, I laboriously struggled to get all my proportions right, drawing then second guessing every line... then half way through the night, I got my underlining draft set up, and just boldly drew the line that most caught my eye as dark as I could... before when I was drawing and redrawing everything I was almost getting detracted by the model... I would fall in love with the curve of her nose, or the highlight on a knee... and then struggle getting all the pieces to fit together correctly.... once I boldly/brashly started committing to lines, I realized I don't need to final piece to look 100% like the model... she can be there as a reference instead of a subject. (This concept goes against all five years of drawing classes in art school).  But, suddenly I started having a lot more fun, and started coming up with more successful drawings. I’m still rusty, but it's a step in the right direction.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I like the clarity of the pictures. Since I'm not an artist here is my goofy critique. I've felt like some of your previous drawings lacked a strong voice. This set seemed to have strength in their simplicity.

    ReplyDelete